Monday, August 17, 2009

Committing to Yoga for a Year

Anyone who knows me knows that I love yoga. (And that I don't do it often enough.)
Anyone who knows me well knows that I love to write. (And that I don't do it often enough.)
So here I am, committing to practice yoga every day for a year, and to write about the experience daily as well. Namaste, 365.

Sound familiar? I won't claim to be original. I did just see Julie and Julia last night! But it wasn't until I was driving home from yoga class tonight that I thought about it. I have been looking for a change, feeling the need to give my days more structure and purpose. I want to be a yoga teacher and a writer, but I'm just not there yet. But committing for a year - that I can do! And writing about the experience is appealing for two reasons. First, even if nobody reads this, I'll have a log of the journey to reflect upon when I'm done. Second, putting this committment out there for the world to see gives me that push to prove I can stick to it, which I'm sure I'll need some days.

So, today is Day 1. I tried a Kundalini class at Open Space Yoga in Honolulu this evening. Having been to one Kundalini class in my life while on vacation 2 years ago, I thought I knew what I was getting into. I was wrong! I imagine if someone watched a Kundalini class without participating, they would wonder if the students felt anything at all. But let me tell you, I felt quite a lot! Sitting cross legged on a mat for over an hour with good posture is work in itself, but adding breath of fire and static arm positions makes it downright difficult for this weakling.

In yoga, it continues to amaze me when the easiest things become challenging when I focus and slow down. This is definitely true with Kundalini, but also very rewarding. Kundalini is definitely a different experience for me, but one I look forward to trying again next week.

I'm looking forward to Day 2, and all the days to come after. I hope that by doing this and sharing it, I can deepen my yoga practice, gain inner and outer strength, and build my confidence as as writer. And I hope that someone out there will enjoy reading about it!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Looking forward to the next year!!! Finding your purpose is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete