Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fit Yoga?

Today I tried a Fit Yoga class. Maybe my idea of yoga is too narrow minded. Even though I have tried and enjoyed many varieties of yoga, I could not see the yoga in this class. Sure, we lunged in Warrior 2, performed a lot of Chaturanga Dandasanas, and ended in Shivasana, but it didn't feel like yoga at all. There was no discussion of breath, no tweaking of the poses, no pulling from inner and outer strength. It felt like a bastardized version of yoga, using the poses in ways they weren't meant to be used to build muscular strength only. I realized that playing new age music, dimming the lights, and saying namaste does not turn a workout into yoga.

It didn't make me happy.

Will I go back? Yup. Because it showed me weaknesses in my body that I wasn't aware of. Would I recommend it as a yoga class? Nope. But now that I know what to expect, I won't be disappointed.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment