Monday, August 31, 2009

I love Tree Pose

My mind was troubled when I started my practice today, so I focused on two poses that I know help me feel relaxed and centered.

The first of those two poses is Vrksasana, or Tree Pose. I've loved balancing in tree pose since I first started yoga. I used to stand by my Grandfather's hospital bed in tree pose, to help keep my emotions under control. I especially enjoy tree pose with my eyes closed. Balancing with closed eyes is usually more difficult, so it helps me to focus even more.

The second of the two poses I love is Virabhadrasana II, or Warrior II pose. I like lunges in general, but in Warrior II, I feel strength not only in my legs, but also my arms. And I find it peaceful to balance in Warrior II with my gaze soft over my leading arm.

I wonder if everyone has certain poses that they enjoy most for centering and focus. I wonder if most people find the same poses enjoyable for this, or if everyone prefers different poses. And, I wonder where the preference comes from. The only thing I can think of for me is cheerleading. Both Tree and Warrior II are positions that I am familiar with from many years of cheerleading practice. I used to balance on one leg all the time to prepare for stunts, and lunges are a key part in any cheer routine. Maybe it's that familiarity that helps me focus and center in those poses, since my body doesn't need as much guidance from my mind.

If you're reading this, I'd love to know what you think. Do certain poses help you feel focused and calm? Do you have favorite poses for other things?

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment