Monday, December 7, 2009

Catching up on Meditations

In the pre-holiday craft mess that is my house, I temporarily misplaced my Meditations from the Mat book. I am happy to report that today, I found it! It was a ridiculous hiding spot too - the book shelf! (Since I use it every day, it rarely makes it back there, so I never thought to look there!)

Today, I'm catching up on all the days I missed.

One quote in particular sticks out to me, and feels especially meaningful. "Acting with deep compassion from within my own being, I dispel all ignorance-born darkness with wisdom's resplendent light." That quote is from the Bhagavad Gita, which I previously tried to study, and decided to set aside for a future endeavor.

I was just telling a friend the other day that I struggle with sharing knowledge. It seems that often time, people don't want to hear it. But if I know something that I think could be helpful, would it not be selfish to keep it to myself? Or if I know something that can help someone make a positive change? But nobody wants to be a know it all, and nobody wants to be brow-beaten with information. So where do you draw that line?

Today I read that quote, and found something of an answer in it. If I'm acting with compassion, and from a pure place, and 'dispelling darkness' then maybe it is always worth it. If my motives aren't entirely compassionate - and since I'm human, they aren't always - then maybe it's better to keep my thoughts to myself until I've rectified that problem internally.

I'm a knowledge kind of person - I like to know, and I like to share what I know. Which brings me to a entirely different dilemma, one that I'll leave for another day and another post.

For now, I'm happy that I have at least one nugget of wisdom to guide me while I work on this aspect of my personal life. And I'm happy I found my book!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment