Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Guidance

Tonight, I had a great practice. I put in a Shiva Rhea CD - not a practice CD, just music. I let the music guide me, and I truly enjoyed myself. I worked on shoulder stand again with the help of my husband, and made a teensy bit of progress. I worked on it until my arms felt worn out, which wasn't as long as you might think!

Outside of practice though, I've been thinking about the ups and downs of this journey, the good days and the not so good. Tonight, when I opened up Meditations from the Mat, I received some perfectly timed guidance.

Gates says, "We will have good days and bad days, days when the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, and days when the opposite is the case. Years of consistent practice are not built on rigid self-discipline; they are built on the desire to know more." Instantly, I felt better. Because I definitely have days when my muscles feel strong, but I'm just not in the mood, and days when I'm inspired, but my body doesn't cooperate. Like a good teacher guiding me along, Gates and Meditations from the Mat are coaching me to keep going, to know my ups and down are normal, and to help me grow within my own practice.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment