Thursday, November 5, 2009

How can Downward Dog Feel so Good?

I do downward dog just about every day now, usually several times a day, for several breaths at a time. So how can it feel so normal, and then all of a sudden feel so good?

I don't know what I did throughout the day that would have caused this, but I'm thinking I did something. Maybe my posture was more slouched than usual. Maybe my breathing was more shallow, and my chest more tight.

Whatever it was, downward dog was the fix. Getting into it, I could feel my side ribs really open, and my lungs expand. My upper arms felt tight, but they must like downward dog, because the stretch felt amazing.

Sometimes things strike me so unexpectedly. Earlier this week, I was resting in downward dog, and my mind went back to the first time I learned that the pose could be use for rest, many years ago. I was full of disbelief then, but there I was, using it to take a break from a strenuous practice and return to my breath. It wasn't a shocking realization, but more of a acknowledgement of how far I've come in yoga. And then just a few days later, here I am, caught off guard by how amazing a pose can feel.

Every day my body is changing, with yoga and outside of it. I never know what to expect, but I do know that whatever happens will be good!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment