Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thinking

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. First, that I might try transitioning from vegetarian to vegan, which sparks a whole lists of questions for my own belief system. And second, that I think I'm too much of a consumer.

Today, I bought new clothes. Lots of them. And when I came home, my closet had collapsed. Is the universe trying to tell me something?

What does this have to do with yoga? Well, the more I practice, and the more I study the ways of yoga, I'm starting to feel like I need to try harder to be a better person, to do less harm to the world, and to try to do more good. Watching videos about the torture male calves go through at the hands of our milk industry is making me feel awful about buying milk, even though I only buy organic. And the amount of money I spend on clothes and shoes, even though I don't buy leather or wool, could be going to such better pursuits, like education or charities.

So when I practiced tonight, I practiced in the dark, and tried not to let all my 'things' cloud my vision. And I really felt out my feelings, if that makes any sense.

Veganism in today's society, especially married to a meat eater, is a huge transition. I won't do it overnight the way I did vegetarianism. And buying less will be a transition too. Right now though, for me in my life, on my path, I think that yoga is helping me to make the choices that will inevitably make me feel more content with my life.

Oh, and today, forward bend felt amazing... not downward dog. So I did it over and over again, and really enjoyed it!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment