Sunday, October 25, 2009

I fell off the Yoga Wagon!

This morning, shortly after I woke up, I realized I didn't do yoga yesterday, and I was very angry at myself.

Here's what happened. Yesterday was a packed day. I started out early dropping my husband off at work, and then ran errands all morning. There was a command beach party, and I spent the entire afternoon and early evening at that. I even commented that I needed to get home in time to make dinner, feed and walk the dogs, and do yoga before going to bed.

But then things got off track. I ended up getting take out because we stayed longer than planned. And then, I got sick. Blah. I laid down with every intention of getting back up. But that just didn't happen. I was only up when I was sick, and yoga was far, far, far away from my mind.

I didn't choose to skip it... I just got sidetracked and completely forgot. And boy was I disappointed in myself when I realized.

So my plan today was to do yoga twice. Two full practices, to make up for yesterday. But I'm still feeling a little weak. So I did one short power yoga practice, and that was it. Then, I read in meditations, "Is it possible that judgement or distraction are like the rain, and you are like the earth? The rain comes and goes, but the earth remains."

And then I didn't feel so bad anymore.

The perfectionist in me is screaming, "Do it all the way, do it completely right, or don't do it at all!" And yet, after practicing now for 70 days, and studying the path of yoga, I know in my heart that my inner perfectionist is wrong. We hear it all the time, that we need to honor our bodies, forgive ourselves, recognize where we are... but it is so easy to slip out of that. So I'm not perfect. And my year of yoga is now not perfect. But it's still worthwhile, and still worth the effort. Distraction and judgement come and go, but me and my commitment remain.

Namsaste

No comments:

Post a Comment