Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pranayama

Today, I focused my practice on Pranayama. I've been struggling this week with not feeling well - low grade fever, stuffy nose, queasy stomach, blah, blah, blah.

I realized that my breathing was suffering from this. Laying back and working through various breathing exercises combined with supine poses really helped me feel revitalized. I was worried my nose would be too stuffy for it, but it didn't pose a problem.

The best part of tonight's practice was breathing while twisting from side to side, every movement synchronized to the inhales and exhales. I felt like all the stiffness from spending so much time resting was getting squeezed out of me, like wringing a wet rag. And the movement really seemed to increase the depth of my breath naturally, and I think that's exactly what I needed.

I'm still feeling under the weather - after all, yoga is not a cure all. But I am feeling much improved after my pranayama practice, and I think that's an awesome result.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment